MORE SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS – this time aiming at Catalan and P-Celtic

tools4clil

by Caoimhín
(Skye)

???????????????????????????????

I have made some improvements to Wordlink and Multidict (and hence Clilstore) for Catalan and for the P-celtic languages, Breton, Cornish and Welsh.
I was trying to make some sense of a Breton website the other day by viewing it with Wordlink and wasn’t getting on very well – partly because I know hardly any Breton(!), partly because the online dictionaries are not very good, but partly because of a difficulty Wordlink had with Breton.
In Breton “c’h” is regarded as a single “letter”, but Wordlink was breaking Breton words such as “boulc’het” into two non-words “boulc” and “het”. It was taking the non-alphabetic character “’” to be a word-break, (the same as it does in English “words” such as “queen’s” and “isn’t”). I managed to put that right and get it to treat the sequence “c’h” in Breton (or the ascii version “c’h”) as being part…

View original post 342 more words

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to MORE SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS – this time aiming at Catalan and P-Celtic

  1. This is absolutely fantastic reading though I must admit I have very little understanding of what is going on here (especially from the linguistic point of view). I am getting the idea that Multidict is a very complex tool even for “minor” languages like Breton, Welsh and Irish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s